Posted: Dec 17, 2012
Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey brought in the most money ever for a December box office release, according to Box Office Mojo.
In its debut weekend, The Lord of the Rings prequel earned $84.8 million, beating previous record holder I Am Legend, which earned $77.2 million, in 2007.
Rise of the Guardians came in a distant second with $7.4 million.
- Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ($84.7 million)
- Rise of the Guardians ($7.4 million)
- Lincoln ($7.2 million)
- Skyfall ($7 million)
- Life of Pi ($5.4 million)
- The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 ($5.2 million)
- Wreck-It Ralph ($3.3 million)
- Playing for Keeps ($3.2 million)
- Red Dawn ($2.4 million)
- Silver Linings Playbook ($2.1 million)